Area firemen fight early-morning fire Oct. 23, extricate two patients in wreck Sunday on EE

By Dave Marner, Managing Editor
Posted 10/30/19

Owensville firemen on Sunday morning quickly extricated the injured occupants of a car which went off Route EE and struck a tree on the passenger side.

Emily Maze, of Bland, was transported by an …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

E-mail
Password
Log in

Area firemen fight early-morning fire Oct. 23, extricate two patients in wreck Sunday on EE

Posted

Owensville firemen on Sunday morning quickly extricated the injured occupants of a car which went off Route EE and struck a tree on the passenger side.

Emily Maze, of Bland, was transported by an ambulance crew to Gerald where a helicopter ambulance met them to compete her transfer to Children’s Hospital in St. Louis. Maze was a passenger in a 2001 Toyota Camry being driven by Caleigh A. Crofford, 18, also of Bland.

Crofford was travelling south on EE south of Glaser Hollow Road when she failed to negotiate a curve and went off the right side of the road, according to the report by Missouri State Highway Patrol Trooper Bruce F. Baker.

Crofford over corrected and went off the left side of roadway. The car spun around and struck a tree with the rear passenger door and “I” beam between the back and front compartments.

Firemen removed the front passenger door using a cutting tool to gain access to the injured girl. Crofford was transported by ambulance to Mercy Hospital Washington with minor injuries. She was wearing a seat belt, according to Baker’s report. It was unknown if Maze was wearing a seat belt.

The car was heavily damaged and was removed from the scene by Triple L Towing. Ambulance crews from the Owensville and the Ozark Central districts both treated patients and handled transports following the crash reported at 10:22 p.m. Oct. 27.

Owensville firemen were pressed into service early this past Wednesday morning when fire broke out in a mobile home in the Rolling Homes park on the city’s south side. Owensville Fire Chief Scott Stranghoener said the occupants, a woman and her grown son, both escaped without injuries. The fire was reported at 4:17 a.m. Oct. 23. Firemen from the Gerald-Rosebud Fire Protection District and the Belle department assisted.

The woman awoke to the smell of smoke in the back bedroom. Stranghoener said it appears a space heater in use in the bedroom overheated or caught the bedding materials and mattress on fire. Damage was too extensive to make a definitive determination, he said.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment