Bland man charged following domestic incident

By Neal A. Johnson, UD Editor
Posted 6/15/22

Matthew G. Magrowski, 33, of Bland, has been charged with discharging a firearm at or from a motor vehicle and domestic assault in the fourth degree following an incident on Thursday. The incident …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Bland man charged following domestic incident


Matthew G. Magrowski, 33, of Bland, has been charged with discharging a firearm at or from a motor vehicle and domestic assault in the fourth degree following an incident on Thursday. The incident began as a report of a psychiatric/suicidal attempt at a residence on Rt. D near the Gasconade County line.

According to Sheriff Mike Bonham, his office received information at about 9:45 p.m. on Thursday from 911, which relayed details from Magrowski’s mother, Donna Magrowski, who said Matthew had rifles and pistols, and had been drinking.

According to a probable cause statement filed by Deputy Pinnell, Donna Magrowski said Matthew was mad because he thought she took two of his beers out of the refrigerator. She later found them in his bedroom.

Matthew reportedly “shoved a box with a shampoo machine inside (it) into her leg, which struck her in the kneecap,” Pinnell wrote in his PC statement. He allegedly did it a second time, and then threw a box of hangers, which hit his mother in the back, and began knocking things off shelves and tables. “Matthew was yelling and had aggressive behavior,” Pinnell reported.

Donna was sitting in her wheelchair in her bedroom watching TV when Matthew reportedly entered with a pistol she identified as a .357 Magnum revolver. She told deputies that he pointed the pistol at her head and chest area “while he was ranting because she would not co-sign for a motorcycle” and things that had happened in the past.

According to the PC statement, Matthew pulled the trigger four or five times while the pistol was pointed at his mother. She noted she was unaware whether the gun was loaded, and told authorities that Matthew was highly intoxicated.

Donna left the residence through a side door, got into her truck and drove to Schaeperkoetter Store in Mt. Sterling. As she left, Donna said she heard one or two gunshots as she left the driveway. She told Pinnell that she feared for her life, not knowing if her son was trying to shoot at her, or in the air.

Donna was met at the store by Troopers Bruce Baker and Coby Holzschuh.

An attempt was made to ping Matthew’s phone but it was turned off.

Deputies were set up at a veterinarian clinic on Rt. D while awaiting assistance from the Missouri State Highway Patrol Swat team.

While there, deputies heard approximately 15 small-caliber and/or large-caliber rounds fired. They were unaware if he was shooting at them or in the air but the shots matched what Donna reported.

The swat team was told to disregard when Magrowski pulled into the parking lot of the Veterinary clinic where officers had staged. His dark-colored SUV matched the description provided by his mother.

When Magrowski pulled into the driveway, he was ordered by officers to get out of the vehicle and get on the ground. He exited the SUV without incident and was the only occupant of the vehicle. Magrowski complied with orders from deputies and was handcuffed and placed in a patrol vehicle. Deputies could reportedly smell a strong odor of alcohol on his person.

Matthew consented to a breathalyzer test, which resulted in a reading of .210, nearly three times the legal limit of .08.

During transport to the Osage County Jail, Pinnell said Magrowski was very agitated and used vulgar language.

He consented to field sobriety tests once at the jail and a second breath test was conducted later, with a reading of .184.

Magrowski was booked on the two new charges as well as an active Osage County warrant for failing to appear at an April hearing stemming from two counts of passing a bad check for which he was charged in March.

He is being held without bond at the Osage County Jail and was scheduled to be arraigned at 10 a.m. on Tuesday.