Burning mattress cause of Friday morning fire

By Linda Trest, Staff Writer
Posted 2/4/21

Both Gerald-Rosebud and Beaufort-Leslie fire departments responded to a call at an apartment at 105 N. Main in Gerald Friday morning. 

A woman who resides in the apartment said a burning …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

E-mail
Password
Log in

Burning mattress cause of Friday morning fire

Posted

Both Gerald-Rosebud and Beaufort-Leslie fire departments responded to a call at an apartment at 105 N. Main in Gerald Friday morning. 

A woman who resides in the apartment said a burning mattress prompted the 911 call. 

The woman said she, three children, her mother and her fiance were all at home when the fire occurred. 

While in the living room, the woman said she began smelling smoke. As she began tracking down the smell, she found her son in his bedroom doorway with the mattress ablaze behind him. He told his mother he had been playing with a lighter when the mattress caught fire. He had attempted putting out the flames to avoid getting in trouble. 

The woman’s fiance began working to extinguish the fire as the woman and her mother got the children safely out of the apartment and called for help. 

Firemen arrived and removed the mattress and burnt blankets to the yard. They then began efforts to remove smoke from the apartment.

Fire Chief Warren Weiss says that initially there thought to be no injuries. It was later determined that the man who extinguished the fire, had received burns on his arm. As the pain intensified, a Gerald ambulance was summoned back to the scene to transport him to Mercy Washington. 

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment