More smoke than fire at Newly Weds Food

By Linda Trest, Staff Writer
Posted 12/2/20

Gerald-Rosebud Fire Department responded to a 1:34 p.m. commercial first-alarm call at Newly Weds Food Monday afternoon in the 400 block of Flottmann Road..

According to Fire Chief Warren Weiss, …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

E-mail
Password
Log in

More smoke than fire at Newly Weds Food

Posted

Gerald-Rosebud Fire Department responded to a 1:34 p.m. commercial first-alarm call at Newly Weds Food Monday afternoon in the 400 block of Flottmann Road..

According to Fire Chief Warren Weiss, heavy smoke was pouring out of the building as he arrived on the scene. As fire crews arrived, employees reported they believed they had the fire extinguished.

The origin of the fire was clogged hopper filters in the finish bag house inside the capsline room and was extinguished fairly quickly. Ventilating the building took a while longer.

Weiss says smoke filled the air inside the building and collected in a void space between the ceiling and roof. It was decided to let the area vent naturally, rather than cutting holes in the roof.

Crews from Gerald Ambulance District, Owensville Fire Department, Beaufort-Leslie and Union Fire Protection districts assisted at the scene. A crew from the New Haven-Berger Fire District moved up to the Gerald station on stand by. The scene was cleared at 3:41 p.m.

There were no injuries of either fire personnel or employees during the incident.

Plant Manager Leo Vogler reports that the swift response of employees and local fire departments meant there was no building damage. “One production line was minimally affected and will be down for a few days,” he said. Other areas of the plant resumed normal operations later in the day according to Vogler.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment